I'm a freelance writer and serious lower stakes poker player. I'm fascinated by poker's complex strategy as well as the psychology involved in this game of short-term luck and long-term certainties. Contact: onlinepokerdiary (at) gmail (dot) com

Micro SnGs - How to Read a Limp Reraise?

In reviewing the hands from my first 20 micro SnGs, it's pretty clear to me that I'm not playing tight enough in the first few orbits. I've busted out 9th and 8th place a few times on situations that are too marginal to defend, even though I did have the best of it.

While a few of them are very clear mistakes, a few others have me thinking a bit. I'm still not exactly sure of the default play against bad opponents in some situations.

Here's a hand that occurred in the first orbit of a SnG. No reads on the villains:

Full Tilt Poker $1 + $0.20 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t15/t30 Blinds - 9 players
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

UTG: t1485 M = 33
UTG+1: t1117 M = 24.82
UTG+2: t1305 M = 29
MP1: t1455 M = 32.33
MP2: t1695 M = 37.67
CO: t1665 M = 37
Hero (BTN): t1478 M = 32.84
SB: t1800 M = 40
BB: t1500 M = 33.33

Pre Flop: (t45) Hero is BTN with A K
2 folds, UTG+2 calls t30, 3 folds, Hero raises to t140, 2 folds, UTG+2 raises to t465, Hero calls t325

I get limp reraised after making a button raise. It's coming from early position, which usually means a monster. I put him on a range of JJ+, and maybe AK and AQ. It's difficult to say because the players at these stakes are terrible and unpredictable. I also think it's possible he's just raising for the hell of it or "not believing" my raise. I've seen a lot of crazy, baffling plays even in just my first 20 games. 


But at the same time, it's only about the 4th hand of the tournament. I decide to take a flop. What should I make of the limp-reraise?

Flop: (t975) K 9 8 (2 players)
UTG+2 bets t840 all in


I flop top pair and he open shoves. I've pulled ahead of JJ and QQ, and I think he's probably salty enough to push even with the overcard on board. I'm rather afraid of AA, and the one remaining combo of KK. The backdoor heart draw gives me a little added value. Do I get involved so early in the SnG?

2 comments:

  1. This was the first orbit and assuming a $1500 starting chip stack I notice going into this hand villain had lost $195 of those chips. How? Why? Under what circumstances did he find himself down nearly $200 so quickly?

    Assuming on the first orbit you have no reads on the players while it is true that a limp/RR is often an indication of a large pocket pair, something feels wrong with the whole betting pattern I am seeing. The reraise amount is a bit off and the open shove to me, is screaming hard handed tactics. I think you have him beat soundly here. You have flopped top pair/top kicker and many times in these micro SNGs you get someone trying to build a quick stack. I think this is a must call and whatever his holdings an immediate note must be taken on precisely what he made this move with in his hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snap call, imo.

    Sure, an open limp RR is almost always AA UTG, but even a donk's range from UTG+2 with this line should be wider (since there's less players left to 3bet, obv). And you've got blockers so he's way likely to have QQ here.

    Besides, you've gotten a third of your stack in the middle and flopped top top. Doubling up early does so much for your tournament equity that's it's worth the risk.

    If you can't stack off here, don't call pre. You aren't going to flop AKx often enough to turn a profit!!

    ReplyDelete