I'm a freelance writer and serious lower stakes poker player. I'm fascinated by poker's complex strategy as well as the psychology involved in this game of short-term luck and long-term certainties. Contact: onlinepokerdiary (at) gmail (dot) com

Frustrating Night

My "Move up through uNL" challenge is going well for the most part, as I haven't encountered any real adversity and am still cruising through 2 NL.

Last night, though, I had a terrible time at the .25/.50 limit tables, which is usually my best game. Everything was getting cracked, my c-bets were always getting raised and aggro players seemed to be stumbling onto the nuts with high frequency.

I didn't get too affected, though; it was only about 70BB or so in an evening. (I four-tabled a session first and lost about 25BB. Then I sat back down at four more tables after taking a break and treaded water for a while before getting absolutely crushed right at the end of my session.)

Oh well, just read a couple of 2+2 threads on variance, tell myself it could be much and move on, right? Not exactly.

I reviewed my sessions in my PT3 database and I was a bit surprised to see that I got involved in some pots that I never should have. Iso-raises pre on tables that were too loose, marginal aggressive play with medium pocket pairs against unknowns, way too eager to call down after being raised heads-up...etc.

I think that all the time spent playing 6-max No Limit games actually affected my play and made me play too wild of a style for full ring. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when I played, but I was quite surprised when I looked back at my sessions.

When we get crushed in a particular day, it's very easy to blame variance and report on "cooler after cooler" that unjustly devastated us. But it's a lot harder to take an honest look at our own play and admit we didn't play great, or let a few early losses affect us for the rest of the day.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. It is easy to overlook mistakes sometimes as they are happening. Sometimes it does take that honest look back to see all the leaks.

    ReplyDelete